Monday, August 11, 2008

Does music Influence your run?

How does Music Influence your Run?
So as I went for a relaxing run today, I was inspired to write more about running, because it truly is my passion. The topic of the day is with or without music? So I was wondering, how much does music influence your run? When I took a long distance running course from a Big Ten University, my instructor told us that running with music is not a good idea. I could see the instructor’s point, as I am sure you can also. Which would be that the rhythm of the music may slow you down, disrupt your own rhythm or that you could possible become too dependent on it during a race. However, I still do it till this day.

What about when you run for the pure enjoyment of it, do you think it takes away from the experience? As you can tell I’m not a famous runner, so I can disregard this valuable advice. Unfortunately I have this habit of not running if my mp3 player is not charged, which is not a good excuse at all. This may not effect you competitive runners and kudos to you. But what I really wanted this article to be about is what music brings to the running experience. Today, I started my run with a song that got me going which was Open Road Song by Eve 6. I know everyone has different tastes in music, but think of song you like to hear to get you moving. Then, I thought I was tired until my playlist changed and I was listening to a faster tempo song again. I surprised myself and really picked up the pace. Do you ever think about how you run to that beat and do the slower songs ever change your pace? I’m sure you are all thinking well of course I know that.

I recall a time when I was satisfied with my own thoughts as I ran. We all know that running by your self is enjoyable, because it gives you time to your self and so much more. I felt the runners high for the first time when I was in a relay and did not even know that it had a name. I had a good kick on the last 100 meters and gave it my all. I knew I left everything on the track that day, especially because things go dark as I was handing the baton off. You would think that I would be in agony for forcing my body to go beyond its means, but it was the total opposite. Oh, that runners high!



1 comment:

Ola said...

I think it is good to run with music, it can get you more motivated.

btw. Thanks for the link! I'm linking back to your blog too.